Daily Blast Live, a three and a half hour LIVE television program airing on TEGNA owned stations, Monday thru Friday, is seeking a Production Counsel to oversee all legal, clearance, and contractual matters on behalf of Daily Blast Live LLC. The position requires the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, be a team player that works closely with production to creatively solve problems, as well as manage and prioritize workflow according to our programming needs. This role will interact daily with other Clearance staff, Production/ Digital staff, and others. This position reports to the Executive Producer.
The successful Production Counsel candidate will have at least 3-5 years of broad-based content licensing experience, as well as development and production experience in unscripted television, with direct experience drafting all forms of production agreements, including talent agreements, production services agreements, and production forms. The ideal candidate will have a strong production and operational background, plus a broad understanding of both television distribution (including digital distribution) and the evolving industry as a whole. Experience providing in-house support to an Internet and/or entertainment company OR experience serving as outside production counsel strongly preferred.
Production Counsel will be responsible for all legal matters related to production legal affairs including structuring, drafting and negotiating a wide range of production-related agreements, including location, talent, above-the-line and vendor agreements, handling pre-broadcast clearance review, and advising on clearance issues including managing clearance staff. Production Counsel will also analyze and interpret contracts and provide thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues in a wide range of legal areas, including intellectual property/copyright.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
• Team player, focused on creative solutions
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
• Solid understanding and knowledge of production, copyright and other entertainment legal concepts (e.g., clearance, trademark, etc.)
• Hands-on production experience
• Music-related legal experience
• Experience working with all levels of broadcasters and distributors including on pilots and first-time series
• J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
As Clearance Manager, you will be responsible for acquiring, negotiating, pricing, and clearing rights on behalf of Daily Blast Live LLC. Daily Blast Live is a three and a half hour LIVE television program airing on TEGNA owned stations, Monday thru Friday. The position requires the ability and willingness to work in a fast-paced environment, be a team player focused on creating solutions, all while prioritizing workflow according to our programming needs. This role will interact daily with other Clearance staff, Production/ Digital staff, our Production Counsel, and others. This position reports to the Production Counsel and Executive Producer.
• Track, analyze and evaluate ongoing rights issues
• Receive, analyze, and respond to varied requests for review of content and other associated materials in a timely and precise manner
• Work independently and reliably under tight time frames in a fast-paced environment, with minimal supervision, including an ability to take direction in a productive manner
• Strong analytical capabilities and sound judgment
• Proactively tackle new issues with critical thinking, analysis, with a meticulous attention to detail
Additional responsibilities include:
• Footage/ Still Photo Licensing – Manage footage licensing by working with existing licenses and obtaining additional licenses as needed
• Music Licensing – Working with music library subscription services and function as the liaison between company and the subscription services. Additional clearances may be required for music not in Tegna’s subscriptions. Ensure compliance with all music licensing entities by working with appropriate Daily Blast Live personnel on music cue sheets and reporting
• Releases – Obtain and process all releases (location, athlete, network, contest entrants, etc.) as appropriate
• Out-licensing- Negotiate and draft Daily Blast Live content licensing out to 3rd parties
• Content clearance – in addition to the above, advising, reviewing and approving of all clearances for Daily Blast Live content
• Expirations/Renewals- Monitoring and managing clearance expirations and communicating expiration dates to the appropriate Daily Blast Live personnel
• Documentation-Reviewing, managing and maintaining production binders ensuring all clearance data included is accurate and all backup documentation is included
• Other duties as appropriate and assigned
• A minimum of 1-3 years’ prior experience in content rights and clearance review is required, ideally at a video content clearance company, digital media content production company, or television production. Prior work in a television environment is a plus.
• Ability to negotiate and execute licenses and other contracts
• Knowledge and experience identifying copyright and IP infringement in video (and flat content and audio); ability to flag new/evolving IP and other concerns as they may arise in video and flat content
• Strong work ethic and enthusiasm to pitch in as needed in a start-up environment: be responsive to new/additional requests and projects as needed; have willingness to problem-solve for matters outside established expertise
• Possess outstanding organizational and communication skills
• Team player, focused on creative solutions
• Knowledge of celebrity news, pop culture & current events